>Home

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

excuse me

How many of us actually feel apologetic when we say "excuse me"? Maybe you would ask, why should we feel apologetic? But then, if we ain't apologizing, why should someone excuse us in the first place? Excuse us for what? For competing for oxygen?? For leaving an image on the retina?

We all know cultures evolve, and so do languages. So "excuse me" actually means "get lost" or "ooi" in modern English. Take for example, that day I was at a crowded Giordano and some aunties just shouted out "'scuse" as she charged around the shop (I should have used my shoulder to knock her chin off)... or some dissatisfied diner trying to catch the attention of the waiter with an angry "excuse me" (that's what my brother does sometimes)...

I dunno, somehow I just feel that "excuse me" doesn't sound that excusable. Or is that an excuse?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 
eXTReMe Tracker