>Home

Saturday, November 05, 2005

starry starry morning...

*cough cough*... just digged out my astronomy notes.. haven't been touching them for ages..
Nope, I'm not taking astronomy or astrophysics, just was thinking of sharing some interesting things with everyone. (or showing what I have gone through in my glorious Chinese High days.. muhahaha) Oh I was the founding member of the astronomy club back then... first batch and last batch.. sad right? I almost started a rocket science club, but too bad the school lacked interest.

Let's start with some names:
Constellations: a group of stars forming some kind of pattern or picture.
Double stars: 1 out of 15 stars is a double or multiple starand about 500 of them from 2 seconds to 1 minute of arc separation can be split with small telescope
Variable star: it varies in brightness. The change takes on average 2 days.
Globular cluster: it is a ball of stars. Individual stars are faint and low power telescope will only show a hazy disk of light
Planetary nebulae: they are luminous gas clouds and are part of our galaxy
Diffuse nebulae: they are large diffuse gas cloud lighted by stars in their vicinity.
External galaxies: complete star systems like our own galaxy
Messier objects: list of 103 sky objects other than stars...

*panting panting* didn't know it is so tiring to type it out... ok next time talk about black hole and no-hair theorem



11 Comments:

  • astronomy is pretty interesting... but u muz be able to see the stars then can tell what's in theory.. think over in singapore.. can't see much stars also right.. hahaha.. here in the winter sky, can see quite a lot of them.. hahaha..

    By Blogger DJ Niwde, at 11/05/2005 07:16:00 AM  

  • sometimes when the sky is clear you can see the stars. You will be surprised at the number of stars you naked eyes miss...

    now, trust me, a pair of binoculars helps... some freaking outsiders were laughing at it when I told them you can watch stars with bino... it is like if you dunno how to cook, at least don't say cooking is boliao.. that's words of a loser.

    By Blogger chillycraps, at 11/05/2005 07:26:00 AM  

  • y u suddenly talk abt astronomy?! my term paper is on black holes...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/05/2005 01:42:00 PM  

  • I dunno why I started talking about astronomy.. maybe influenced by someone's blog...

    Hmm since you are doing your term paper on black holes, then I better don't act smart and post something on black holes here.

    By Blogger chillycraps, at 11/05/2005 03:22:00 PM  

  • nah.. u prob know more anyway.. my term paper suck.. hope i get e facts clear can le.. yeah, in sg, somehow can nv c a lot of stars... c until my neck wan to break... haha..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/05/2005 09:32:00 PM  

  • well well... I beg to defer.. guess what I know is quite entry level, whereas yours is a term paper!!

    By Blogger chillycraps, at 11/05/2005 10:10:00 PM  

  • oh damn.. i feel so smart now *blush*.. hahahahaha! like what the! eh, i still haf trouble understanding wat is black hole hair!! (it slipped my mind)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/05/2005 10:45:00 PM  

  • wahaha. wad an interestin comment box here.. i'm planning to get my freakin telescope back to australia next yr when i come back.. the winter skies are clear.. so at night, we can see the stars very clearly.. and i'll be stayin in an apartment.. so most prob can sit down at the balcony to see stars.. hahaha.. if not, gain on the early nights that we have in winter.. (5pm start to turn dark liaoz..) and go to school sit down at the quad lawn just to look at stars.. hahahaha..

    By Blogger DJ Niwde, at 11/05/2005 11:11:00 PM  

  • tstars: oh gosh suddenly I was thinking of nasty things when you mentioned black hole hair.. *slap myself awake* nono cannot!! Maybe I'll talk about it later..? (I mean the real astronomical one.. not..ermm....others. sheesh I'm damn nasty..)

    Edwin: I guess the southern sky is not that polluted as what we have above our head here. Isn't a telescope supposed to be gigantic? How are u going to bring it down south??

    By Blogger chillycraps, at 11/05/2005 11:17:00 PM  

  • HAHAHA! black hole hair... i KNOW what you are thinking... it sure hints in that direction huh... gosh, i've only touched and seen a real telescope once in my entire life and i was supposed to spot the moon then.. the clouds happily drifted over it when i was looking, so suay.. (guess what festival it was when i managed to get close to a telescope)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/06/2005 12:39:00 AM  

  • ermmm... mid-autumn??

    telescope is for the rich ppl.. that's y i played with the school's one... =P

    anyway the view isn't as spectacular... if you just lie flat on the ground and look up, the view will be more breathtaking cos it will be the whole sky of stars..

    aww.. reminds me of meteor shower.. i haven't redeem my prize yet hahaha!

    By Blogger chillycraps, at 11/06/2005 12:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 
eXTReMe Tracker