>Home

Sunday, December 11, 2005

shuang lin monastery and 4D

Went to Shuang Lin Monastery @ Toa Payoh. My mother said this lunar year my father and brother 犯太岁 (some Chinese astrology thing, it is like people belonging to certain zodiac signs will face more difficulties in a particular year, but if you pray in the temple then you will be blessed), we prayed once at the beginning of the year, so now should sort of return the blessings. I still remember that time my brother couldn't be bothered and refused to offer the joss stick, and my mother told me to pray in his place... I was kind of pissed off, hello, if you can't be bothered about yourself, why should I be bothered about you? Your own well-being you want others to pray for you? Couldn't he just at least clasp his hands or something? Today he refused to offer joss stick as well. What's new. Christian who doesn't go church nor read bible nor pray...

I was standing at the bottom of the steps and observing the people. A lot of people were offering joss sticks to 2 horse statues. Guess what, on the horses there were lots of 4-digit numbers written on the body... I really don't like this. I mean fine, everyone wants to strike lottery, but why pray to gods and hope the number you buy will come out?? And why make a mess on the statues?? Why don't they write on the buddha statue as well? Maybe it's the tradition.. ok fine. But I'm sure the statues weren't there for graffiti. Afterall, how many people make a point to learn more about the gods they are praying to?

I'm a freethinker. I offer joss sticks twice daily. Ok sounds contradictory, but I do it cos I feel it is a tradition/custom that should be observed. The flame has to pass on, if not it will die out somewhere.

Somehow, I didn't pray for anything today...



4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 
eXTReMe Tracker