>Home

Saturday, May 13, 2006

temple tempo

Yesterday was Vesak Day, which is Buddha's birthday. (vesak sounds like an Indian word) Weird that in other parts of the world, ie China, Buddha's birthday was exactly one week earlier than Singapore's. Different time zone?

Went to Singapore Buddhist Lodge in the morning, which was super crowded. One thing that striked me was the people's attire. I always thought that when one goes to religious places, he/she should dress smartly to show respect. I remember many years ago my parents and I went to a temple, I was in shorts and sandals and I saw a sign at the entrance that said no shorts and slippers, so I obediently waited outside. Then there was this temple ah pek who was in shorts and slippers (-_-") who saw that I was waiting outside, he waved me in... (oh I was in long pants and proper shoes yesterday)

Anyway back to yesterday. The place was very crowded, and the people were generally quite rowdy. Push here, push there, (old people were usually "stronger"), not mentioning some could be holding lighted joss sticks in their hands. What is the use of believing in Buddha when they themselves ain't peaceful in their hearts?

By the way I'm freethinker.



3 Comments:

  • Got such thing meh, cannot wear shorts and slippers.. I've always worn smthing like that to temples. In fact, yesterday I wore that. It's far too warm to wear smartly. I suppose as long as it's not too sloppy it's alright ba.

    Temples in mornings are usually more crowded. That's why we chose to go in the night. Joss sticks very dangerous - the ash dropped onto my hand twice and the first time round it left a red mark that is now turning into a blister.

    Don't know, i consider myself a buddhist/taoist, but I don't seem to be one... you know we take on the religion of our parents..

    By Blogger tstar, at 5/13/2006 11:25:00 AM  

  • I dunno, feel like it's a bit disrespect. Maybe just different social norm, it is like in some parts of the world you must dress smartly to enter a restaurant. *shrugs*

    Yes joss sticks are dangerous, think of Chinese New Year when people rush in to be the first to stick them in the pot. And think of the ash dropping into little kids' eyes. Blister so serious??

    By Blogger chillycraps, at 5/13/2006 02:29:00 PM  

  • True also, social norms.. hehz, coincidentally my family is going to a restaurant for dinner now and we're not exactly very smartly dressed either...
    yup, got a tiny blister on my hand from that ash...

    By Blogger tstar, at 5/13/2006 05:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 
eXTReMe Tracker