>Home

Sunday, October 30, 2005

touching the void

Just finished watching the movie "Touching the Void" and can't help having more respect for Mother Nature. This movie is so intense, so deep in meaning that you will find "Cliffhanger" a humour and "Vertical Limit" a joke.

It is based on a true story about 2 British climbers Joe and Simon who are still the only people to have summitted Siula Grande of Andes. (I have been reading the book of the same title written by Joe Simpson himself at the NUS Central Library. If you see a freak reading a 17 yr old boring looking book at CL, that's me. Call number is GV199.92)

The exciting part starts during the descent, when Joe fell down a cliff and broke his leg. (Ouch, I could almost feel the bone crushing in my knee! At 28 degrees I can feel my spine turning cold..) and later when Simon cut the rope to stop himself from being drag down the slope, thinking that Joe was already dead. Miriculously Joe crawled himself out from the mountain back to base camp. This escape is still one of the best tales in the mountaineering circle.

There was a lot of struggle in the climbers. Should Simon have cut the rope? Was he thinking only of his own life? He must have been flooded with guilt and a cocktail of other emotions, but I guess only they themselves know it best and not for us to judge.

There are so many reflections after watching it. To my dear climbers, I will be passing a copy to you then you guys circulate among yourselves. I look forward to your reviews!



4 Comments:

  • haven even heard of the movie here in aussie yet man.. damn slow.. hahaha..

    haiz.. damn sianz now.. tired also.. yawnz.. no time to post my blog entry.. it's been so long since i went in already..

    but probably soon.. i'll post la.. hahaha..

    haiz.. juz realised tat my exams all not in school.. muz go over to randwick racecourse's ball room to take the exams.. crap man..

    By Blogger DJ Niwde, at 10/31/2005 12:06:00 PM  

  • of cos u haven't heard of it in Aus lah, cos it was out in 2003...

    By Blogger chillycraps, at 10/31/2005 02:07:00 PM  

  • hahaha.. then where u watch it sia?? hahahaha.. how i know.. 2003.. i was in the army la!! BMT and SISPEC!! crappy..

    By Blogger DJ Niwde, at 10/31/2005 07:56:00 PM  

  • someone was talking about it on some climbing forum, so I went to read the book in NUS library... and downloaded the movie. *hushush*

    By Blogger chillycraps, at 10/31/2005 09:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 
eXTReMe Tracker